Teens and Screens: Helping Parents Navigate Risks with Technology
November 15, 2023
Few parenting challenges today rival how best to navigate risks associated with use of technology in teens. Whether it’s managing gaming, time spent on YouTube, pornography, social media, or the emerging use of ChatGPT, there are no simple answers. Join us for an engaging webinar where we will review data on teenage access and use of smartphones, what teens are doing online, and the benefits and risks of technology (it’s not all bad). We’ll then put risks into context to better help you understand where to focus your efforts on keeping your child safe. And we will talk about the importance of identifying and addressing the roots to behavioral health challenges including the overconsumption of technology.
What You’ll Learn
- Discuss the ways present and emerging technologies are impacting teen’s life today
- Talk about the risks, benefits, and costs of technology
- Discuss ways to intervene with teens when technology becomes a problem
- Offer guidance for parents seeking treatment for their teen
- Download this webinar’s slide deck
- Common Sense Media
- Growth of the Mind: And the Endangered Origins of Intelligence (by Stanley I. Greenspan)
- What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness
John Fitzgerald is the creator of the 5-Actions Program™. Dr. Fitzgerald has been on Clinical Faculty in the Department of Psychiatry at Oregon Health & Sciences University since 1998, a Licensed Professional Counselor in Oregon since 2001, and a Certified Addiction Specialist since 2006. He holds a doctoral degree in systems science and social psychology from the Systems Science Graduate Program at Portland State University where he has also held an Adjunct Faculty position since 2007. His career has been devoted to understanding addiction and its treatments, and translating that knowledge into the 5-Actions Program.